Thursday, January 21, 2010

Desmond Anderson


Jonny's granddad, Desmond Anderson, passed away on Tuesday January 19th. He was a great man. He spent his life in the service of others. Many of his great accomplishments took place before I had the chance to meet him. He did many great things including serving as mayor of Logan, Utah. Over the past five and a half years I have gotten to know him and I am grateful for that opportunity. I first met him in June of 2004 at Jonny's high school graduation. I have since spent many weekends at his home in Logan and time with him at family get-togethers. I have seen the love he has for his wife, his children and his grandchildren.
I saw the joy and pride in his face as he watched Jonny become an Eagle Scout. I have heard him tell his grandchildren how honored he is to be their grandfather more times than I can count. I have never lived as close to my grandparents as Jonny and I have lived to his these past few years. However, Jonny's grandparents have always made me feel like part of the family. I remember having a get together at Jonny's uncle's cabin and Granddad arrived and gave everyone a hug and came to me and gave me a hug and held me there for almost a minute. He always made me feel like I was loved and welcomed. He never hesitated to let his family know of his love for them or how proud he was of them. A family gathering was never complete without a famous speech from granddad and a prayer lasting upwards of 30 mins. Although I met him years after sickness had hindered his abilities, he never stopped helping others. I have seen him move beds and drag large tree branches out to the street. Less than a year ago he told us about the house he wanted to build. He will be greatly missed. He has left behind an amazing legacy that is his family of which he was immensely proud. He was truly a great man. Granddad we miss you and love you.

3 comments:

Aaron Mondell said...

thank you Holly. that was beautiful. -aaronmondell

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I'm sorry to hear...but that was a very nice tribute to him. Sounds like a wonderful person. Hugs for you and Johnny. Love you!

Greg and Betsy Rose said...

Very nice tribute Holly. Our love to all their family